Miss Graham’s Cold War Cookbook – Celia Rees
Available in Ebook, Audio, Hardback (23 July 2020) | Paperback (10 June 2021)
ABOUT THE BOOK
A reluctant spy is born…
An ordinary woman. A book of recipes. The perfect cover for spying…
Sent to Germany in the chaotic aftermath of World War II, Edith Graham is finally getting the chance to do her bit. Having taught at a girls’ school during the conflict, she leaps at the opportunity to escape an ordinary life – but Edith is not everything she seems to be.
Under the guise of her innocent cover story, Edith has been recruited to root out Nazis who are trying to escape prosecution. Secretly, she is sending coding messages back to the UK, hidden inside innocuous recipes sent to a friend – after all, who would expect notes on sauerkraut to contain the clues that would crack a criminal underground network?
But the closer she gets to the truth, the muddier the line becomes between good and evil. In a dangerous world of shifting loyalties, when the enemy wears the face of a friend, who do you trust?
‘A perfect summer read; gripping, original, well-drawn and compassionate’ Joanne Harris
‘Celia Rees is a superb writer, and this novel has one of the most irresistible and unique story hooks I’ve ever come across. This book deserves to be huge!’ Sophie Hannah
I’ve long been a fan of Celia Rees’ YA books and as soon I saw that she had written an adult novel – and in a favourite genre, I had to buy a copy. I haven’t had time to read and review in time for the tour but my thanks to Anne Cater of Random Things Tours for the tour invitation and to the author for providing the post.
Ten Things About Celia Rees
I. I’m left handed and had a hard time at Junior School because of it – always being criticised for my sloppy handwriting.
2. I have a degree in History and Politics but taught English in preference to History.
3. I didn’t begin writing until I was in my 30s. I began writing YA in response to my students and used to read work out to them.
4. My first novel was based on a true story told to me in the pub by a teacher friend who had just got back from taking a group of students on an Outdoor Pursuits Weekend. On the way to the centre, a remote house in the Welsh mountains, they were stopped by the police. A teenage girl had been murdered and the suspected killer was heading for the same house. They spent the whole weekend inside a police cordon, like bait in a trap.
5. I have written over 20 novels for children and Young Adults.
6. Miss Graham’s Cold War Cookbook is my first book for adults.
7. I have been Chair of The Society of Author’s’ Children’s Writers’ and Illustrators Group and served on the Management Committee.
8. I practise Yoga..
9. I have completed the training for Reiki Healing Level 1.
10. I have a Spanish rescue cat called Lyra.
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Celia Rees was born in Solihull, West Midlands, UK. She studied History and Politics at Warwick University and has a master’s degree from Birmingham University. She taught English in city comprehensive schools for seventeen years before beginning her writing career. She is the author of over twenty acclaimed books for young adults and has won various prizes both in Britain and abroad. Her work has been translated into twenty-eight languages. Celia lives in Leamington Spa, Warwickshire, with her husband.
Miss Graham’s Cold War Cookbook is her first adult novel.